All I Want For Christmas Are Support Payments

Posted on December 22nd, 2020

The holiday season is one for giving, making amends, and new beginnings. Unfortunately, when your ex can’t make good on his support payments, you are feeling anything other than holly jolly–especially when he shows up on Christmas with extravagant gifts for the kids, meanwhile you can barely make ends meet. What can you do? Contact the Scranton family law attorney, Craig Kalinoski. He will make sure you are given the support you are entitled to. Take a look at these holiday support payment scenarios.

My ex claims the Christmas gifts he got the kids counts as child support payments. Is that true?

Your ex is trying to fool you. Christmas gifts, birthday presents, school supplies–none of those count towards child support. Your ex received a court order for support payments he must make to you.

It’s important that you keep a record of the support payments you do receive as well as any gifts given by your ex. That way if they attempt to call the gifts payments, you have a log.

Money is tight for everyone, but my ex hasn’t given me spousal support in months and I’m struggling to get work. Then he shows up with an expensive gift–what do I do?

While your ex may have thought giving you a gift during the holiday season would make up for late spousal support payments or payments that did not meet your expectations, know that legally, he still is on the hook.

You can contact an attorney to discuss these missed payments or try to speak with your ex about coming up with a plan that works for both of you.

I’m behind on child support payments, and I won’t be able to get my kids gifts for the holidays. My ex is already upset with me, but I really need to modify our payments. Is now a bad time to modify?

People fall behind on bills during the holidays. But when you’ve repeatedly been behind on payments, your ex will likely be pretty upset, as he or she may be counting on you for basic needs for your children.

However, coming clean about your financial situation will only help you both come up with a modification agreement sooner, making the holidays less stressful, and getting you back on track to help support your children.

An attorney can help you come up with a support modification agreement that is temporary to fit your needs. But remember, you still must make payments–so being honest now will save you in the long run.

All I want for Christmas are my child and spousal support payments. And the help of Kalinoski Law Offices.

The holidays are financially strenuous for most of us, especially this year. But that doesn’t mean you can miss support payments for your former spouse and/or children. If your ex has support payments at the top of his or her Christmas list, make sure a modification plan is at the top of yours.

At Kalinoski Law Offices, we will come up with a support modification plan that works for both of you while keeping the best interests of your children at the forefront of all decisions made.

Contact the Scranton family lawyer, Craig Kalinoski, today.

Category: Family Law

Share this Post
Craig Kalinoski
Craig Kalinoski

Craig P. Kalinoski is a respected attorney serving clients in Scranton, Pennsylvania. With a focus on Family Law, Criminal Defense, and Civil Rights, he has established himself as a top-rated legal professional. Recognized as a Rising Star and admired by peers, Craig's commitment to excellence sets him apart in the legal field.


We fight for the rights of our clients in a wide spectrum of practice areas, ranging from criminal defense to family law and personal injury.

Back to Top