Even if you and your spouse have parted ways, there is still a legal obligation to support your child. This money is for your child’s food, clothing, and other necessary things such as medical services and childcare costs. But many separated couples forget that the financial arrangement is for the support and well-being of the child, not of the ex-spouse. Failure to pay can result in arrest and imprisonment, which won’t help your child. A good child support lawyer understands that and knows how to form a child support agreement around it.

When the child support agreement is unfair to you and your child, you will need legal assistance. Our Scranton child support lawyer can help you pursue a fair amount and seek modification or enforcement of the award.

Child Support Guidelines in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania uses the “income shares” model for calculating child support. Under this model, children of separated or divorced parents, or parents who were never married, are entitled to receive the same proportion of parental income that they would have received if the parents lived together. The court determines this amount by considering a number of factors, including:

  • The number of children
  • The income of both parents
  • The medical needs of the child
  • The educational needs of the child
  • Cost of daycare
  • Child support obligations from any additional relationships

We invest the time required to gain a full understanding of your situation in order to present a clear picture of your family’s finances and your child’s needs. If there are reasons to deviate from the prescribed formula — high incomes, special medical needs, private schooling, or other extra costs — we assemble the necessary documentation to pursue a child support amount that is appropriate for your family’s unique situation.

When Your Ex is Behind in Child Support Payments

If you suspect that your child’s other parent is hiding income in order to minimize the amount of child support or spousal support awarded, we work with investigative specialists who will help identify those hidden assets.

In Pennsylvania, the state probation department handles the collection and enforcement of child support. Our family lawyer, Craig Kalinoski, can help you enforce the required payment. One way he can do so is to seek a court order for a two-week bench warrant status. Failure to obey this order can result in arrest.

If you need help enforcing a child support agreement or if you are seeking a modification of your current payments, don’t wait. Contact Scranton child support lawyer Craig Kalinoski to schedule a free consultation today and learn your legal options.

We fight for the rights of our clients in a wide spectrum of practice areas, ranging from criminal defense to family law and personal injury.

Back to Top