Many parents want to relocate following divorce or the end of a non-marital relationship. Support from extended family, a new job, or remarriage are common reasons for wanting to move. But relocation is challenging when a child is involved.

Pennsylvania parents who wish to relocate with a child are required to file a formal notice to the non-relocating parent with at least 60 days’ notice if the move would significantly impair the ability of the non-relocating parent to exercise custodial rights. If the non-relocating parent objects, court intervention is required prior to moving the child and a determination will be made on the proposed relocation as to what is in the child’s best interest.

What To Include In The Formal Notice

Relocation cases are complicated. However, there are typically specific items that are required to be shared with the non-moving spouse. Items include:

  • New address
  • Who will be living in the house
  • Telephone numbers if they have changed
  • New school district information
  • Revised custody schedule

It’s important to remember that if you are a victim of abuse, the court may keep your new address confidential. Be sure to check with your child custody lawyer on what you must share with your ex. 

Why Do You Need an Attorney to Relocate With Your Child?

The court considers a number of factors when a parent requests the right to relocate with a child. Besides the child’s best interests, factors that are considered include:

  • The child’s relationship with the moving parent, the non-moving parent, siblings, and other family members
  • The impact of the move on the child’s education and emotional development
  • The feasibility of the child maintaining a relationship with the parent who is not moving
  • The level of involvement of the non-moving parent in the child’s life
  • Factors behind the relocation

Child Relocation Attorney Craig P. Kalinoski

At Kalinoski Law Offices P.C. in Scranton, Attorney Craig P. Kalinoski represents parents who are requesting approval to relocate, as well as parents who want to prevent a spouse from moving away with a child.

Attorney Kalinoski has nearly 15 years of experience assisting residents of Northeast Pennsylvania. As a devoted father who has been through the divorce process, Attorney Kalinoski serves his clients with a great deal of empathy and understanding in terms of the emotions they are experiencing.

If you have questions about relocating with children after divorce, contact our office. Taking steps on our own without legal representation could negatively impact the final outcome in these cases. Our Scranton child custody lawyer will guide you through the steps that need to be taken to reach a positive resolution.

We fight for the rights of our clients in a wide spectrum of practice areas, ranging from criminal defense to family law and personal injury.

Back to Top